2013 IN REVIEW

I'm loving everyone's resolution & review posts, so I thought I'd contribute my own. So long 2013!

Favourite Pattern
By Hand London's Georgia Dress, but Grainline's Archer Shirt came a very, very close 2nd. 

Favourite Mens Pattern
Thread Theory's Jedediah shorts. I've made 4, yes four, pairs so far. Only one pair has been blogged, but others have made an appearance on instagram

Most Viewed Sewing Post
My One Pattern, Seven Bloggers dress was 2013's most viewed & commented sewing post. This also counts as the most fun sewing challenge; I love all of the ladies who took part and even got to meet a few.

Favourite Pattern Hack
The Harriet Scout Dress has become such a well-worn staple that it's starting to fade. This also inspired my first tutorial

Saddest R.I.P
I have no idea what happened. I pre-washed, I took care of it, but it shrunk. Let's move on, I can't even talk about it. It's just too raw. 

Most Worn
It's a tie between the tiki skirt, which has been heaven in this heat, and the WWCD dress that I made as part of the Sew Bossy Initiative. Side note if you haven't done Sew Bossy yet, get on it.  

Biggest Flop
The one, two, three Laurel garments win, without doubt, the 2013 biggest flop award because I made three - three! - before realising a fundamental fitting flaw rendering them unwearable. *Sob*. 

There's too much room in the back of the shoulders and too little in the front, forcing me to either hunch or be strangled. It's not a choice I can make. 

Most Swear Word Inducing
Earlier this year I was honoured to be a pattern tester for Heather Lou's Bombshell Swimsuit. My complete affection for Heather Lou & experience in proofing (it's part of my IRL job) meant I took the task seriously. Wanting to get a good idea for the pattern I made only one fitting modification (lengthened the waist) and proceeded to make one of the sexiest, well made muslins this sewing room has ever seen. 

The instructions were clear and the fit was lovely - I made a swimsuit! Well, a muslin of a swimsuit. So after giving my feedback I proceeded to make the real deal with a delicious Tigerlilly swimsuit fabric. 

The problem, I later discovered, is that a significantly firmer fabric resulted in a significantly smaller fit. As the muslin was so well fitted I didn't fit the real-deal as I went and, once completed, I wouldn't let a little thing like size dupe me out of my new swimsuit. I forced it over my hips only to have my circulation slow. Then, I kid you not, I couldn't take it off. If it wasn't mid winter I would have resigned to living in the new swimsuit, perhaps stop eating so it would one day fit, but it was cold and my lips were turning blue. 

I couldn't get it off with my friend's help or in the shower so I made the tragic choice to cut it off. 

Please, if you take anything from this post let it be a visual of me sobbing while cutting off a garment that made me look like a fleshy gherkin squeezed into a rubber band, and the reminder to make a muslin out of a similar weighted fabric. 

Most Viewed Food Post

Best Use of the Garden
I grew nearly all of the vegetables for the Potato Curry, even the coriander seeds! If that makes me sound a bit smug, well, I am. Last year I couldn't even get a potato to sprout, and this year I would have made my Irish ancestors proud. Potato Curry for everyone!

28 comments:

  1. I just found your blog in Dec and then went back through and read all your posts. Love your sense of style and perhaps my fav's are the tiki skirt and the Georgia dress (the fabric/color is fantastic). Glad to read you had a good time in my city of SF! and I look forward to your creations in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Beth, it means a lot to me! SF was a dream; I could definitely see myself living there!

      Delete
  2. You had one hell of a year! I've been loving your beautiful makes, both sartorial and culinary. I'm not sure if this makes you feel better, but my sis had to get cut out of a dress in a store once... she said it was a super sweaty, embarrassing scene.

    Anyway, with that said, happy 2014! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, in a store?! I feel like your sister and I must share a certain tenacity with trying on clothes - ha! Happy 2014 to you too Morgan! x

      Delete
  3. A great year! I loved following along. That gorgia dress is unbelievable. Really. And I actually can't get enough of your food / gardening posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Sophie! And I loved following you :D

      Delete
  4. I think I just laughed out loud reading that you had to CUT OFF your bombshell, I'm so sorry.

    Totally died when I first saw your macaron, so beautiful and fitted perfectly. Can't wait to see what you come up with in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad! I'm able to laugh about it now, and only cry a little :P

      Delete
  5. So jealous of your garden growing abilities :)
    Loved all your posts, you were one of my first blogs I found and still one of my favs :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Bec! I love following you too, even if you did just win the self-awarded 'shit blogger award' ;)

      Delete
  6. You've had an amazing year all round Reana and I've seriously enjoyed all your posts! Thanks for the witty copy, the beautiful imagery and the inspiring content ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie! Loving the sneak peeks of your new house!

      Delete
  7. Your sewing skills make me envious! You have an amazing eye for colour and style. I am madly in love with your Georgia dress. I can see what it's your favourite make for 2013. Very cute round up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh stop it, YOU have incredible sewing skills! I have difficulty visualising what fabrics will look like in a pattern, so I love that you think I have an eye for colour.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful collection of garments from this year! I'm sorry about your bombshell, but omg your story made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm just happy it can make others laugh :D

      Delete
  9. I love your blog! Food posts are delicious, garden posts are inspiring, sewing posts are beautiful! Love your Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading your posts, they always make me smile. Your food makes me hungry and your clothes make me envious. Thank you for introducing me to the Scout tee, I really thought that would be rubbish on and now I have made four!
    Happy 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - that's so lovely and I'm so happy I infested someone else with my Scout disease haha

      Delete
  11. Oh no, I cannot imagine having to cut off a garment that I've made (tho I've contemplated a similar action in various change rooms). Your potato curry looks great - I'm going to give potatoes a try out on my balcony garden next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good luck! Your other garden adventures seem to be going very well :D

      Delete
  12. Okay, I'm trying not to laugh but I can't help it. I'm picturing you like SJP in that episode of SATC where Miranda has to cut her out of the wedding dress. My poor thing (by poor thing, I mean my Bombshell). Guess you'll just have to make another one, HUH?

    ps. I've made your lamb ragout a few more times. Guillaume basically had a mouth orgasm last weekend and loves me about 100x more since he ate it. VICTORY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that was pretty much it, but with more tears. YES I need to work up the courage, shrug off the depression of last time and just go for it. As for the ragout, GOOD, RIGHT?! I am so happy you like, and even more happy if it's getting you some bedroom brownie points ;) xoxoxo

      Delete
  13. This is such a great post! Thank you! Your hits are all amazing, dude! Also, the Laurel dress-- that's a problem with the pattern, not you. Every version I've seen has the same issue and I tried my hardest to fix it on mine, but eventually gave up.

    I especially love your beautiful Georgia dress, and those rice noodles--- YUM! I'm scrounging around the cupboards right now to see if I can come up with the ingredients for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I hope you make it because it's a regular "Oh-crap-I-need-something-for-lunch-this-week" in this place. Damn Laurel!

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful review. Nothing was short of beautiful, even the flop :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I LOVE hearing from you!

If you ask a question pop back because I'll answer it here, and please use a name or alias (not 'Anonymous') so I know who you are! x